Welcome to the blog for paula winicur design

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Here you will find samples of current projects,
as well as things that inspire me. I do hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to post feedback,
email me, and share samples of your projects. To see more of my work, please visit my website.


Monday, June 17, 2013

Under the Sea party

My last post was about the invitations for my daughter's Under the Sea princess party, and today I want to share with you more about the party itself. When we found the book Princess Pearl, A Birthday Ball, my daughter loved it and we thought it would be fun to read the story to the kids at the party, and then have them make necklaces like Princess Pearl's. One day when I was planning the party, my husband mentioned to me that on a recent walk with our daughter, she made a wish on a dandelion, and told him that her wish would be to meet the princesses. My husband did some research, and it turns out that right here in our own back yard there is a company called Happily Ever After that sends out singing princesses to parties! Since Tess loves Ariel, and we were doing an Under the Sea party, I thought this would be perfect.

I spoke to Katherine at Happily Ever After, and she was so wonderful and accommodating. Normally they have a set schedule and order for how they do their parties, but she was more than willing to change it in order to fit what I wanted to do, including getting a copy of the book I wanted her to read so she could be prepared. She came to our house a few minutes before the party started so she could meet Tess and they could greet her guests together. She was warm and delightful, and so good with all the girls. They sang and danced together, and then Ariel sang "Part of That World" to all the guests. She then read the Princess Pearl book, and then it was time to coronate Tess. Normally the princess brings a crown and wand for the birthday girl, and wands for the guests, but I wanted to use a wand and crown I had decorated for Tess, as well as pearl/shell headbands I made for each of the girls with shells Tess and I had collected on a recent trip to the beach, so Ariel presented them while Tess used her magic wand to turn them all into princesses.

After princess Ariel left, we made necklaces. I gave each girl a pearl strand necklace that I made using pearl ribbon (I got spools of it at Michaels). I made them each about 22" long, and then bought pull-chain connectors at the hardware store. This makes the necklaces easy to open for little hands, and also adjustable. I then wire wrapped a little pearl, and put it on a jump ring with a sea-themed charm. We had shells, seahorses, and starfish. Each girl got to choose their charm and string it on their necklace. Together with their pearl headbands, they made charming sea-princesses!

Stay tuned for my next post about the food and cake, coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment