Welcome to the blog for paula winicur design

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Here you will find samples of current projects,
as well as things that inspire me. I do hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to post feedback,
email me, and share samples of your projects. To see more of my work, please visit my website.


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tessa’s birthday (part 2 - the party)


Once I created the invitations, as described in my last post, it was then on to planning the party. With the color scheme decided (black, white, and Tess’ signature blue -- Yes, my 1-year-old daughter has a signature color. What, is that not normal?), I just needed to figure out the food. Because, really, its only a party when theres food, or more specifically dessert, involved. For years now I have wanted to try to make petit fours, which have been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl. And I once saw Martha Stewart make them and thought, wouldn't that be fun?Folks, please dont try this at home. I was too stubborn to believe it when people told me I shouldn't do it. Even professional pastry chefs. What do they know, I thought. My love for my daughter will conquer the difficulties of assembling tiny layers of cake and fondant. Um... yeah, not so much. But, now I know for myself. Im glad I made them, and in the end they looked pretty, but its not happening again. (Unless of course Tess asks me to make them for her some time in the future. Im a sucker for that kid.)

I also wanted to make cake balls after I saw them on Bakerella. Unlike petit fours, cake balls are totally worth the effort. And really, much simpler than decorating a cake. And since Ive been known to spend days assembling cakes for other kids' birthdays (before I had a baby and less free time), this was a good way to go.

I thought that my milk glass dishes would go perfectly with the classic look of the party. And what better way to showcase them then to fill them with candy. Because really, when you add candy to anything it can only make it better. I had to go to a few different stores (Candyality, Illinois Nut Company, and Cost Plus) to find candy in the right colors and sizes for the dishes, but it was so much fun. I really am that proverbial kid in the candy store.

I covered the table with a white tablecloth and the same decorative paper that I used to line the invitations envelopes. The paper comes in 20 x 30" sheets, so I bought 3 of them and seamed them together using the widest width of pool-colored ribbon from Paper Source. My dining room is kind of a steely-blue color, and I didnt want that as the backdrop for the table, so I bought some white fabric and, since I cant really sew a straight line, used iron-on hem tape to make a little curtain for the wall behind the table, from which I hung the letters of Tessas name.

I wrote another poem and made little labels for favor bags that guests could fill with treats to take home with them. And I put out blank cards so everyone could write a little message for the birthday girl that we can put in her baby book.



All in all I think the party was a success. Good thing I have another year to plan for birthday number 2! I wonder if I could fit a petting zoo in my apartment...

No comments:

Post a Comment